2020: A Special Year-End Review
2020 is a “special” year for a year-end review. And, MissionFiT has done a special year-end review of what has been accomplished by the athletes and ministry alike, and has sketched out the ministry’s focus for the coming year.
A Year-End Review of ALL Your Gifts in 2020
As an employee at the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, I have the privilege of listening to weekday devotionals on mornings I work. One such time, the speaker used a familiar passage from Luke 2 as his base:
“While they were there in Bethlehem, the time came for her to give birth, and she gave birth to her Son…and she wrapped Him in swaddling cloths...And this will be a sign for you…you will find a Baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.” Luke 2:6-7 & 12
The Baby Jesus “Wrapped”
The speaker noted how the baby was “wrapped” in cloths. Maybe some loose strips of cloths or just what Joseph and Mary happened to have with them. However, as you read the Gospel story, it becomes clear that Jesus “unwrapped Himself in Light”, so that at the close of His earthly life, the many people (known and unknown) that came in contact with Him received His special blessings and gifts. And, of course, Jesus gave those who would accept His offer, The free gift. Through His life, death & resurrection, Jesus gave the gift of salvation, and the opportunity to return and enjoy fellowship with God. (Ephesians 2:8-10)
Are ALL Your Gifts Unwrapped?
The Bible teaches that when someone accepts Christ as Savior, that person is given a gift. MissionFiT is blessed to have many gifted and talented people working out front and behind the scenes to keep the ministry’s purpose:
- To remain and grow as a “holistic wellness ministry that exists to get followers of Christ Faithful in Training so they can be FiT for the mission the Lord has laid before them.”
To that end, MissionFiT’s “gifts” in 2020 were many and varied and offered to every athlete. Even the COVID pandemic came with a few “blessings in disguise”. MissionFiT’s gifts include:
2020: Year- End Training & Offerings Review
- Training roughly 80 athletes and adding a new schedule of class times each week, both online and in-person. As a result, Zoom has…well… zoomed! The addition of online classes offers flexibility for athletes to train in the comfort of their own home or while on vacation or a business trip. This flexibility has allowed many athletes to take advantage of more than one or two classes each week. Some tune in every weekday. And, the “garage” is still open for athletes who want (or need) a more community based experience offered through wise social-distancing. As a bonus, the garage will be heated very soon!
Different Class Offerings
- A new class, RESTORE. For those athletes needing to stretch themselves more or take a break from the rigors of lifting. This class gives the tools needed to help “restore” the body, mind, soul and spirit.
- Increased accessibility to the 101 Program Classroom training online. Athletes can revisit and review the Spirit/Emotional, Class Notes and Well-Lessons in each of the 24 classes. These classes are taught by doctors, teachers, counselors and coaches from all over the country. And each class is designed to educate, encourage and equip the athlete for service to his or her community and the Kingdom at large.
In February 2020, the greater Charlotte area experienced severe storms, some spawning a tornado or two. When a tornado struck Matthews, MissionFiT athletes “worked out” by assisting neighbors and friends alike, clearing debris, mucking out basements, and checking on folks. As a result, MissionFiT discovered a great way to implement “serve” opportunities in the future.
The Future Focus
While we pray for the Lord’s work through the pandemic, MissionFiT is also looking at where to go next. MissionFiT can serve through outreach, meet the needs of current athletes and/or make internal improvements to the ministry.
MissionFiT’s 2021 “gift” list:
- Support those whom have fallen off the health wagon. A MissionFiT goal is to “bring them back to life” through a renewed focus on good health and wellness habits.
- Respond to the community through more service opportunities. Helping athletes live out their commitment to the Kingdom by putting their training into action.
Wanted: Pastors & Partnerships
MissionFiT wants to serve three new Pastor groups of 10-12 people per group. The 12 week 101 program, ReStart Your Heart, will be the basis. The goal is to see the Queen city’s leaders healthy and thriving in ministry for the long haul. These would be senior level staff leaders from churches closest to our Headquarters location in South Charlotte.
To explore partnerships with local ministries such as:
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- Campus Outreach
- Billy Graham Evangelistic Association
- Two new Christian schools in the area.
- International Missions Board “IMB” in order to serve more missionaries
- Once again, MissionFiT aims to take 30 Homeschool teens through Teen ReStart. In smaller groups of 10, these teens will learn the basics of health, wellness and fitness. This foundation for a healthy life will help them be fit for the Kingdom.
- Kids’ Camps are coming! A VBS/Fitness based program with much the same focus as Teen ReStart, but for kids of all ages
Have questions or suggestions for additional areas in which MissionFiT can help get folks on the right health track? Contact MissionFiT directly: Info@missionfitlife.com
So, What About YOUR Gifts?
The Apostle Paul wrote the Corinthian church (1 Cor 12) about Spiritual gifts [the special endowments given by the Holy Spirit]. He explains that:
“…just as the body is one and yet has many parts, and all the parts, thought many, form [only] one body, so it is with Christ.” (12:12) Paul states further:
“…God has placed and arranged the parts in the body, each one of them, just as He willed and saw fit [with the best balance of function].” (12:18)
“I’m Not Sure”
Each follower of Christ has at least one Spiritual gift. If you’re not sure what your gift is, ask God. He will show you. As a help, you can also take any number of tests to help you narrow the focus.
“But Will God Use Me?”
God can and will use anyone open to allow Him to use them for His purpose. How can you be sure? Try this:
- Pray. Ask God to use your gift for the betterment of His Kingdom Plan.
- Believe. You must pray believing God will answer by showing you the way through His Word or circumstances.
- Act. This means you put your faith, your belief that God will show you the way, in action.