Building a Healthy 1st Meal of the Day
Cautionary Food Items
While you might be thinking “Oh no, you’ve just taken away all my meals”, don’t worry, there’s PLENTY of options.
Let’s start with the basics…what are the 3 components to building a meal?
So now all we need to do is build some meals that have each of those components in them that play in a God-made space.
Protein Carb Fat
Scrambled eggs Berries or Apple Some in the eggs and cook it in Kerry gold butter
Egg (in a casserole) Veggies in the casserole Some in the eggs and cook it in Kerry gold butter
Bacon, Chicken Sausage Apples and berries Bacon and some in the
Protein powder in the muffin Banana, Pumpkin Almond meal and Almond Butter
Miss your old meals?
Well, simply can google or pinterest any meal you love + the word “paleo” behind it and find a healthy version of the things you love.
Don’t have much time to make breakfast? Here’s some ideas:
- Protein shakes – almond milk, coconut milk, or coconut water base with protein powder and some berries and ice. Here’s some great breakfast recipes: https://www.deliciousobsessions.com/2011/05/creamy-coconut-avocado-smoothie/ https://www.comfortbites.co.uk/2014/06/aip-strawberries-and-cream-milkshake.html http://allisonnichols.com/ https://thebigmansworld.com/mixed-berry-breakfast-smoothie-whole30-paleo-vegan/
- Full fat No sugar Greek yogurt with vanilla protein powder and berries.
- Making a casserole at the beginning of the week, cutting it un squares and nuking one in the morning.
- Protein Bar.
- Protein Muffins.
Cautionary Food Items
Today’s Teaching Video from :
Review how much of the following is currently in your diet? Work to replace bad with good…the things we talked about the last few classes. 🙂
Food items to approach with caution:
Sugar creates a lot of inflammation! So much so that it can become deadly quite quickly. In one study, healthy 20 year olds were given just one 12 oz soda per day and an inflammatory marker (CRP) was doubled in just 3 weeks!
keep your daily sugar intake at around 10 grams. That’s it. You’ll find yourself with more energy, less fatigue, less inflammation, and a healthier body.
Natural Sugar Vs. Refined Sugar:
Natural Sugar Examples Refined Sugar Examples
Fruit, Syrup, Honey, Molasses white flour, evaporated cane juice, instant starches agave nectar, unsulphered molasses, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, fructose, brown rice syrup, coconut sugar, sucanat, brown sugar, processed artificial sweeteners fruit, date sugar
Why Your Body Doesn’t Need Added/Refined Sugar
Immediate insulin spike – what goes up must come down, and until you get it again, your body’s cortisol will be raised. It’s highly addictive. The MRI scans of a brain on sugar and cocaine are pretty similar, however, the sugar scans light up the pleasure centers of the brain 8x more, so scientists are saying it’s 8x more addictive than heavy duty drugs.
- Sugar feeds bacteria, fungal and yeast overgrowths allowing them to thrive and thus hinders the absorption of vital nutrients our bodies need.
- NO essential nutrients and is bad for your teeth.
- High in Fructose, which can overload your liver, a cause of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Can cause insulin resistance, a stepping stone towards metabolic syndrome and diabetes, which can progress to type 2 diabetes and obesity in both children and adults.
- Sugar is what unhealthy cells feed on to fuel inflammation and disease.
- Affects dopamine release
- Leading contributor to obesity in both children and adults.
- Raises your cholesterol and contributes to heart disease.
What is High Fructose Corn Syrup? -The Devil
- Extracted from fruit, converted to syrup & added to food as a sweetener
- Body turns HFCS into triglycerides (fat) almost immediately after eating depositing fat into the liver
What about “diet” drinks:
The diet drinks are even worse! Synthetic sweeteners are causing more health problems and sugar itself.
- Biggest sources of added sugar (and High Fructose Corn Syrup) in the diet.
- Lead to“Hyper Rewarding”- Overconsumption & Addiction (breakdown as sugar hitting those pleasure receptors)
- Consist of Artificial Ingredients
- High in Refined Carbohydrates – again breaks down just like sugar, spiking and then dropping blood insulin
- Low in Nutrients
- Low in Fiber
- It Requires Less Energy and Time to Digest Processed Foods – you don’t burn as many calories digesting compared to whole foods
- High in Trans Fats or Processed Vegetable Oils
Want to know what the additives are in your food? Check this list to find out what it is, why to avoid it, and what types of food you’ll often find it in! This guide does not include absolutely everything, but covers the most common ingredients to avoid in processed food. Additionally, refer to the references section of your manual for a more comprehensive understanding of specific additives.
Grains like wheat, rye, and barley are different in structure and type than those grown over 50 years ago. Grains are also prepared and processed much differently today than over 50 years ago.
- “Dwarf Wheat”, a high-yield crop developed in the 1960’s, is named for its height of +/- 2 feet
- Cultivation and spraying methods have also changed
What is Gluten?
Gluten is the reproductive structure of grain.
Each grain head contains Aleurone Layer, Germ, Bran and Endosperm (Gluten).
When processed, the Germ & Bran are removed leaving only the high-starch Gluten.
What Gluten does:
- Erode the gut lining, causing “leaky gut syndrome” toxins can permeate and cause another wave of inflammation throughout the body and lead to auto-immune
- Erode the microvilli in the intestines so you can’t absorb nutrients as well….eventually leads to celiac (microvilli gone)
- Poorly digestible, less nutritious and will cause digestive imbalances in the body
- Linked to Auto-Immune Disorders, high blood pressure, lipid levels and cholesterol
- Creates inflammation throughout the body
Switch to Coconut Flour or Almond Flour flours when baking or buying bread.
But what about Gluten Free?
While it says “Gluten Free” you will find:
- high sugar content
- flour (which converts to sugar)
- additives like dyes and gums
- filled with a deadly fat
*The GF label is not 100% regulated so some of these foods still have gluten in them. Administration labeling laws for gluten-free foods do not require manufacturers using the “gluten-free” claim to independently test their products and verify the claim.
- raise blood sugar levels
- contribute to inflammation
*Both of which play a role in nearly every disease on the planet, lead to serious health challenges like leaky gut syndrome. Even products like brown rice flour or quinoa flour sound healthy; however, they are also highly refined and behave like sugar once ingested.
Mom told you to drink your milk when you were a kid, but you’ve grown a lot since then…so has the research on the effects of milk and milk products on your body! For example,
- Less dairy, better bones. Countries with the lowest rates of dairy consumption (like those in Africa and Asia) have the lowest rates of osteoporosis.
- High intake of milk can contribute to bone loss due to milk acids and a milk sugar called Galactose
- There are many non-dairy sources of Calcium, such as: amlond, bokchoy, canned pink chia seeds, collard greens, dried herbs, kale, sesame seeds, spinach, and okra.
- Roughly 30% of the population can actually readily digest dairy.
- Dairy has been linked to many issues, ie Alzeimher’s, Type 2 Diabetes, Heart Disease, Chrones, and linked to an increased risk of breast, ovarian and prostate cancers.
- Dairy is a simple carb (high in sugar) that elevates insulin, promoting diabetes and weight problems.
- Sugar feeds cancer cells and promotes their growth faster.
- Dairy is highly inflammatory for many people. Inflammation damages your gut lining, causing food sensitivities, and promotes the overpopulation of “bad” gut bacteria which cause leaky gut, or yeast overgrowth, that produces the endotoxin Lipopolysaccharide which is excreted into your bloodstream.
- Once all of these foreign particles enter your bloodstream, they trigger a fresh wave of inflammation as your immune system tries to neutralize the threats. But, until your leaky gut heals, the particles just keep on coming, and this constant level of inflammation can eventually lead to an autoimmune disease.
Commercial dairy milk is the worst option because….
- Commercial dairy cows eat genetically modified corn and soy, are treated with antibiotics and man-made hormones to promote their growth, and they live in tightly packed spaces that cause them stress which inturn promotes the production of their stress hormones…all of which you ultimately drink!!
- It is highly pasteurized, a process that heats the milk to 212 F, to kill pathogens and extend shelf life but this process also kills the nutrients. The Weston A. Price Foundation has even linked pasteurized milk to health problems including allergies, increased tooth decay, colic in infants, growth problems in children, osteoporosis, arthritis, heart disease and cancer.
- Grain cows milk is high in Omega-6 (the bad omega) and low in omega -3 (the good omega) which triggers inflammation.
- We’re the only species that continues to drink milk after we’re weaned and it isn’t even from our species.
- Young children produce lactase and can digest the lactose in their mother’s milk. But as they mature, most switch off the lactase gene.
Better options of milk if you must: Raw milk, Grass-fed milk, Goat’s or Sheep’s milk, Ghee
Coffee Alternatives: Almond milk/Creamer or Coconut Milk/Creamer OR “Bullet” Coffee.
- A plant native to East Asia and often eaten in a fermented form in Asian Cultures
- Poisonous when eaten raw, Soy MUST be cooked
- Cheap additive or substitute in many foods today
- Majority of the soy consumed in the Western diet comes from refined Soybeans
Soy has been linked to Cancer and Thyroid problems in women.
- Highly GMO’d, a destructive crop, laden with pesticides
- High levels of Goitrogens, compounds that inhibit the thyroid’s ability to use iodine correctly, possibly leading to an Hypo (under-performing) Thyroid. Result? Slow Metabolism, low energy, feeling cold, weakened immune system.
- Protease Inhibitors, blocking enzymes that help digest certain proteins.
- Plant Estrogens, effectively raising estrogen levels while lowering testosterone levels
- Whole pure sources of Soybean may have some nutritional value, but is also high in phytates which if eaten too much can prevent the body from absorbing minerals, such as Calcium, Iron and Zinc.
- Soy is in ALMOST everything, as an additive or substitute in foods we eat, especially processed packaged food.
- Soybean crops are highly sprayed with toxic herbicides like Roundup and turned into soy meal to be fed to livestock.
Toxins are ANYTHING causing disease or damaging tissue when it enters the body. So, while household chemicals and the like are typically thought of as “toxins”, products ADDED TO or CHANGED WITHIN the food we eat can also act as toxins.
Consider these numbers:
About 77,000 chemicals are produced in North America alone.
The FDA has approved over 4,000 different additives, preservatives and colorings for use in our food supply.
5.6 billion tons of pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides are dowsed over the vegetables you buy in the grocery store and eat in restaurants.
More than 10,0000 chemical solvents, emulsifiers, and preservatives are used to manufacture processed foods.
There are untold thousands of chemicals in cleaning agents, glues, plastic containers that off-gas into your beverages, fumes in the air, not to mention estrogenic compounds never filtered out by city water systems.
We are inundated by toxins.
Toxins in food & household products are fat-soluble (dissolvable in fat). The body will create fat to safely store these toxins to protect itself.
RESULT? Toxic Fat depletes nutrients, robs energy, contaminates cells, can affect the gut and contribute to other symptoms and diseases.
Examples of Toxins:
- Corn, Soy and Palm Oil
- Artificial Sweeteners
- Preservatives like Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Benzoate, Butylated Hydroxyanisole (BHA), Sodium Nitrate & Sodium Nitrite, Glutamates- such as, Monosodium Glutamate (MSG)
- Artificial colours like Blue 1 & 2, Green 3, Red 3 and Yellow 6 are linked to thyroid, adrenal, bladder, kidney and brain cancers.
Furthered Learning Articles On Today’s Topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keSoSyu9m7c (Kids and Keto Beating Seizures
https://tim.blog/2015/11/03/dominic-dagostino/ – Ketosis and Cancer