If you were more a “junk food junkie” than a vegan off the farm, chances are you heard your mother repeat those same words. Now, Coach K is challenging MissionFiT athletes to:
Eat Your Vegetables!
That’s right. It’s time take your nutrition challenge to the next level and eat more vegetables. In fact, Coach K has set the bar pretty high at 300 grams each day. But what does that look like?
Can I Really Eat 300 Grams Of Vegetables?
Believe it or not, the answer is “Yes”. And it’s not as hard as you might think. For instance, 2 Cups of vegetables equals 300 Grams. So, when put into perspective, 300 grams isn’t a lot. But, if you are not a vegetable person, then some planning is required to meet the 300 gram per day goal. Katie, with helloveggie, describes a serving as:
- 1 cup of raw vegetables
- 1/2 cup of cooked (roasted, steamed, etc) vegetables
- 1 cup of pure vegetable juice (no added fruits)
- 2 cups of leafy greens (lettuce, spinach, etc)
- 2 medium sized whole vegetables (2 medium carrots, 2 stalks of celery)
- 1 large whole vegetable (1 large red bell pepper)
So there are a lot of different ways you can reach the goal of 300 grams of vegetables each day.
Why Should I Eat That Much?
If you’re new to MissionFiT, then you may not have worked your way through all the lessons available in the ReStart Your Heart 101 course. Here are a few tidbits from those lessons:
- Vegetables contain vitamins. If you recall some history lessons, sailors especially fell victim to diseases like Scurvy and Beri Beri because of a lack of vitamins, specifically C and B1.
- A variety of veggies helps you get the nutrients your body needs to function properly. Just like your car needs gas & oil, so does your body need meat & vegetables. Each has a specific function to keep your engine running
- Vegetables are relatively low on the Glycemic Index. This means vegetables are complex carbohydrates and take your body longer to process. Therefore, you don’t experience “sugar spikes”.
Visit the 101 teachings by going to the MissionFiT home page. Then click on:
- Athlete Portal
- ReStart Your Heart
Once on the ReStart Your Heart page, sign in and visit the “Wellness” teaching from these lessons:
- Class 9 – Vitamins
- Class 10 – Eating the Rainbow (Scroll to “Macros” teachings for the specifics)
- Class 13 – Glycemic Index
- Class 14 & 15 – Recipes to help you include more vegetables in your day!
Rules Of The Game
The MissionFiT “Eat 300g Per Day Challenge” is simple. Just keep track of how many vegetables you consume within a day. You can include them in every meal or snack. When you eat them is your preference. Keep it simple for yourself:
- Measure out your vegetables until you are comfortable with what any particular “serving” looks like.
- Ensure you consume AT LEAST 300 grams each day.
- Fruit DOES NOT count. So all you fruit lovers our there, take note and plan appropriately during the challenge.
For extra credit, take a few notes each week concerning your overall health during the challenge. Are there any improvements in body function? Any weight loss? Do your clothes seem to fit better? More energy? Maybe you have a doctor’s appointment during the challenge. Do a “numbers comparison”, looking at your cholesterol, tri-glycerides and other important base-line health numbers before and after the challenge.
- Just Say No To GMOs
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Winter Salad
- Tuna Salad Lunch
- 6 Garden Tips from Faith & Fitness Magazine
No matter if you hit the daily goal or not, you are a winner when you begin to incorporate more vegetables and a variety of vegetables into your daily diet. So take charge of your health and see if you don’t come out ahead of the game!