Your Skin Care Isn’t “Better Living Through Chemistry”
In 1935, chemical giant DuPont adopted the slogan “Better Things For Better Living…Through Chemistry”. When you use cosmetics, your skin care involves an average of 12 different products made of up to 168 different ingredients. That’s a lot on the largest organ in/on your body.
According to the Environmental Working Group, “Since 2009, 595 cosmetics manufacturers have reported using 88 chemicals, in more than 73,000 products, that have been linked to cancer, birth defects or reproductive harm.” Also, several of these chemicals are forms of a chemical we used in junior high school: Formaldehyde. Here’s a partial list:
- Formaldehyde, a known carcinogen.
- Mercury, which can damage the kidneys and nervous system.
- Dibutyl and diethylhexyl phthalates, which disrupt hormones and damage the reproductive system.
- Isobutyl and isopropyl parabens, which disrupt hormones and harm the reproductive system.
In addition, these chemicals and many others have been banned in Europe for personal use.
Who Looks Out For Us?
In 1906, congressional legislation led to the creation of the Food & Drug Administration (FDA). Since then the industry has grown by leaps and bounds. According to the Scientific American, the FDA will step in only when there is “reliable information” indicating a problem. So, of over 1,400 ingredients used in the manufacture of cosmetics, only a fraction have been banned for use in the United States. So, it’s up to national retailers interested in the health and welfare of the consumer to refuse to sell products containing chemical contaminants.
When you do the research and understand the right products to use, you can repair damage caused by toxins and other chemicals. There are many natural products available to help or heal many skin conditions. But not every product that claims to be “natural” really is natural. Here are additional resources to help you start on the road to recovery:
- “Natural Ingredients For Perfect Skin Care” – Grahams Natural.com
- “The 8 Best Natural Ingredients For Your Skin” – Everyday Health.com
- “Top 10 Most Effective Anti-Aging ingredients” – download the report from Purity Woods.com
- “Chemical Free & Gluten Free Skin Care with Bob Root” – Amy Myers MD.com – Audio & Article
- Check out additional articles and audio on skin care from Dr. Amy Myers
Learn More About Holistic Wellness Through A Christian Lens In Our FitBits